FAQ: What Tools Do I Use?
"What app/printer/machine/tool did you use?"
I get asked fairly often what software/hardware/materials I use for my art and small business. I wanted to have a central place where I could compile all that information, and be able to refer back to it. So what better place than a blog post? ^_^
Listed below you will find all of the software, hardware and other tools I use! I've tried to sort the items into different categories for easier reading, so hopefully you guys will find it helpful.
I'll try to come back and update this post from time to time as things change, or if new things come up. Wondering about something that's not on this list? Feel free to comment down below :D
- Procreate for iPad
- Adobe Creative Cloud
- Photoshop - I use this for all my photo editing, graphics, etc.
- Illustrator - I do all my vector art, and a ton of my other graphics in this program. Very robust typography and shape manipulation tools.
- After Effects - I do all my video editing and motion graphics in AE.
- InDesign - Of all the Adobe programs, I probably use this the least; but it's a very handy tool to know. Great for when I need to create multipage files for printing (i.e. books) or generate a resume, or PDFs.
- MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)
- iPad (2018 model) + Apple Pencil
- Razer Naga USB Mouse
- Canon Pixma Pro-100 - My current inkjet printer.
- Brother HL-L2350DW - My current laser printer. I primarily use this for foil prints.
- i1Studio by X-Rite - I use this to calibrate the colors on my computer monitor, as well as my inkjet printers.
- Precision Colors Ink + Refill Kits - If you're printing with the Canon Pixma Pro-100, you'll need the CLI-42 kits.
- LD Products - Nice source for third party ink cartridges (If you don't want to mess around with manually refilling your catridges.
- Silhouette Cameo 3 - I use this to cut out all my sticker sheets
- Silhouette Cameo 2 - This was my first Silhouette machine! I use the Cameo 3 more frequently these days because the auto blade makes sticker sheets really easy, but sometimes bring this out for die cut stickers, or as a backup cutter.
- Silhouette Connect - A great plugin ($39.99 from Silhouette's website) that allows you to use paths drawn in Illustrator as cut lines for the Cameo.
- Sticker Paper: I use Photo Paper Direct's Inkjet Vinyl Self-Adhesive (Glossy)
- Heidi Swapp Minc Foil Machine
- Toner Reactive Foils
- Heidi Swapp Brand Foils
- OBS (Open Broadcaster Software) - I use this for recording my computer screen, as well as occasionally streaming to Twitch.
- Quicktime Player - This software is included in Mac OSX, and I often use it to record my iPhone or iPad screen.
- After Effects - For editing my videos. Makes creating timelapses super easy!
- Dymo 4XL - I've been using this thermal printer for the last couple years and I absolutely love it. Makes shipping labels a breeze.
- Foldio2 - This is a small portable light box that I use for my product photography! It's able to fold flat for easy storage, and uses magnets for easy setup.